Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So, what's with the blog title?

Because I've been known to struggle with semantics, the thought of naming a blog for eternity causes procrastination. I decided in the meantime to pick a point that causes me to chuckle for a variety of reasons: (assumption: you know the difference between "principal" and "principle")

1) I really love it when I see "principal vs. principle" in print (often next to "your vs. you're," "there vs. they're vs. their") as if school principals are diametrically opposed to principles.  Do we give them up upon oath of office, or are they gradually whittled away?

2) You'd be surprised at large amount of correspondence (from vendors, etc.) that I receive referring to my job as "principle." I don't know if that means that they consider me a school leader "in principle," or that they're making a positive assumption about my character.

3) Cover letters from aspiring educators that use the word "principle" convey either a spelling deficiency, a lack of attention to detail, or misplaced faith in Microsoft's spellcheck ... none of these options are very attractive to an employer ... espeshully in edukashun.

My understanding is that the position title originally comes from the concept of a "principal teacher." What a shame that we dropped the "teacher" part of the title ... it's the most important part of the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment